Tuesday 19 May 2015

Response to the script





When we first got the script I was excited and worried because this was my first musical, I hadn't sang before because I never gave it a go so I found the auditions tough. The first thing I did was flick to the songs that my given character was involved in. The first line I sang was 'Can you say of your bite that its worse than your bark' and I honestly could not see how I was going to sing that. I then saw a song about my character that I had to sing, the lyrics initially seemed boring
and repetitive. Throughout the song it says you give him this then he would rather have something else then you give him what he would rather have then he would only want what you initially offered him. As I read through the lyrics I began to visualise playing this ungrateful arrogant character. I thought that my character would have been one of the least favourites in the musical which I later on found out that I was
wrong because everyone loved him. I then watched some videos on the internet and started to think of ways in which I could push my character.


 The rest of the songs that Tugger was involved in , I started to see them in a whole new light for example Old Deuteronomy is the song for the character in charge whom everyone respects therefore initially I though that my character would have turned down a bit to show respect for this character but after the research I concluded that even though he was being lovely he still was expressing his cheekiness. Concluding that Tugger was still being a bit cheeky in this respected song worked well with the lyrics because he makes a joke about Old Deuteronomy's age. This enforced that he was different from the rest of the characters and made me think that he was not afraid to do what the other characters would have not dared to do giving me a bit more freedom with the creativity of the this character's development. Later on in the script we saw Tugger introducing another character and saying how great they are. This made me think that he wanted to show the others that its not all about him and that his not that self obsessed as the older cats would think therefore he was ought to do a good job on that maybe be underdressed. I that it would have been funny if he still did a few gestures from his song to express the irony of him trying to show that his not all about himself but yet do a few things to attract attention.

Trying not to make it all about me like my character, I looked at a few of the other songs and I was confused to how we were going to express this fashion context in songs that involved fighting and shouting like the peaks and pollicles. The script says they barked at each other and at this point I think maybe they can shout at each other to express this in our context because I think models wouldn't shout at each other I think that they would just talk about each other behind the other's backs. Not really sure how we are going to go about with some of the songs but hope it all works out well.

The group songs probably will be the most challenging because there are going to be a lot of ideas at the same time and I fear that it will be hard to get started because people will want different things. This can be a disadvantage however it could be worse for example some people may not speak up but not like what the group has decided to go forward with therefore perform the choreography half hearted and hate the whole rehearsal process which will hugely affect the morale. 



No comments:

Post a Comment